Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day 7 - March 7th

March 7th

Am about to head to the cinema to see “Confessions of a Shopaholic”. This has been categorised as research by Orna and Ailish in an effort to justify my presence there. Either that or it’s Cinema on Orna and I’m not interested in scrounging. Besides, no matter who pays I’m still “consuming”. I wonder did Judith Levine think of this on the odd occasion that her friends paid for her to consume.

It’s actually quite hilarious. All this commotion over a film I wouldn’t normally go to see anyway. At least we’re bringing drinks, crisps and choccie with us so no spending at the confectionary counter when we get there. And don’t worry; I won’t be eating the choccie!


***


For a variety of reasons I actually think I’m going insane. I have just spent the past 3-4 hours being the most miserable, boring uptight version of myself imaginable. Pre “Confessions” I was being laughed at for the pathetic guilty look on my face. I think the girls actually thought I was going to cry as I handed the cash over for my ticket (not a drama queen I swear). Post “Confessions” my silence was being laughed at as Ailish asked was I being so quiet because I was trying to figure out what I was going to write in my Blog – spot on!

I then proceeded to roll up my sleeves and go on a rant about the sheer stupidity of the film and the incompetence and irresponsibility of the shopaholics anonymous leader. Perhaps I was taking my roll as researcher a little too seriously. Apart from the few lines about shopping defining our beloved ex Home and Away starlet, there really wasn’t much in the line of hard hitting consumer psychology issues.

There was a brief moment before we left for the Cinema when I actually considered staying in and just watching the football with Orna’s husband Simon. Then I realized the absurdity of what I was considering. I had flown all the way over here to visit Orna who I only see a few times a year. Ailish, who I also rarely see, had taken the train all the way up from London to see us and instead of spending time with them I contemplated staying in. Perhaps if I had been more vocal I could have put the foot down and insisted we all stay in, after all, how sociable is the cinema really? But why should the girls be forced into a night in because I’m not supposed to be spending money. Man alive this is tough.

£4.80 and a lot of guilt on “Confessions of a Shopaholic”. At least I got a cheap student ticket.

To make up for my misery, Orna bought me fish and chips for dinner. It actually made me feel shittier as usually when I’m over I try to shout Orna and Simon dinner or drinks or something at least once.

Total spent today £4.80
Total not spent £13 on fish and chips dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment