Friday, March 13, 2009

Day 11 – March 11th

This morning I made the "Big Switch". Yes, the lovely (or extremely irritating depending on how you view her) Lucy Kennedy finally got inside my head, with her oversized light switches and meowing Celtic Kittens. Between TV and Radio, I've been bombarded from all sides for the past few weeks so decided a change was due. 10% savings on my ESB bill, another 2% reduction because I'm already a Bord Gáis customer and a further 2% off for paying with direct debit! Round of Applause for the power of advertising please. Spurred on by my saving success, I then made a virtual trip to callcosts.ie to find out that with my mobile usage I should really be with Tesco Mobile. That will never happen but I may be tempted to a switch to Meteor in July when my Vodafone contract runs out. NTL will be dealt with as soon as I get my next bill and actually have an account number to quote them. So long Sky and Setanta Sports. You will no longer be required. Not really a sacrifice as I've recently realised I watch most of my Football in Mum and Dad's or in the Pub so my sports channels have been surplus to requirements for quite some time. I even called the bank to see how I could weasel out of my fixed term mortgage early in order to avail of the delightfully low variable rates they have on offer. Apparently things needed to be done with computers; calculations made and buttons pressed but great things should be on their way out to me on the post, post haste!

I had a look at my entry form for the Mini Marathon today to try to ascertain the closing date for this year's race. My big mission is to run the whole thing on June 1st. Focus and determination will be needed in large quantities but I'm sure I can do it. Anyway, I digress (as usual). The marathon is on June the 1st and I was hoping to hold onto my entry form till May 1st (when my not spending spree has passed) as it's €22 to sign up. Unfortunately the closing date is mid April so I'm just going to have to suck it up and write the cheque in the next few days. I'll be sure to report my expenditure when that moment occurs. I'm also in a bit of a quandary about the Bupa run. It's in about 3 weeks and I was supposed to sign up for it and start training before Christmas. Christmas came and went, my training plan got adjusted and readjusted and I finally started running in February. I'm now clearly a serious athlete and am just at the point where I may be able to run half of it (at a push) but of course, haven't signed up yet. Now in theory I could run it without the tag and without getting the bag of free stuff at the end. However, if I don't sign up I won't get a medal and as I'm all about the bling I'm really not sure if that's an acceptable outcome. I shall mull on it for a few days and then decide but I suspect I'll be signing up for two 10ks next week and not just one.

I took a scissors to my second last mini tube of moisturiser today. Managed to scoop out the dregs and slather it all over my face. My second mini tube only has a few days left in it before the scissors will have to come out again. Then I will need to replenish. I think I have made the decision to give the cheap stuff in Aldi a go. God knows what's in it to make it so cheap but by all accounts it's fantastic. I will miss my lovely Dr. Hauschka all natural rose day cream but the fact of the matter is it's €30, barely lasts a month and is too hard to spell. Also, it's crazy money – whether I'm trying to not shop or not. So I will give Aldi a go and report back.

So apart from all my saving done today I did spend €25 on petrol.

I didn't spend €10 on Weight Watchers but hopped up on my own perfectly good scales. It will be even more perfectly good when the bright red digital numbers start reducing.

Am about to go to bed but am busy boiling an egg for my lunch tomorrow. I tell ya, this not spending business takes up a lot of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment