Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 20 – March 20th

I'm sitting here listening to the radio. One of the biggest news stories of the morning is that U2 tickets are going on sale at 8am. I won't be buying them for two reasons.

  1. I have no money (refer back to maxed out Credit Card entry on Paddy's Day).
  2. I don't think they're necessary.

After a discussion about the rules of the game the other day it was decided that service based products were not to remain part of the experiment. If I'm honest with myself, don't necessarily think they are any more or less essential than many physical goods. I also firmly believe that these service based products also strongly contribute to the overconsumption epidemic into which we are facing. I do however think that for my own mental health, sanity and social life it's sometimes important to go for some food or a drink with friends or to a gig or the cinema. Over the past few weeks I've begun to realise that if I cut everything out completely and kept this up for more than a couple of months, I'd end up friendless and alone at its conclusion. That's not to say that I've to agree to everything that presents itself, a little bit of discretion and common sense will now acompany me wherever I go. For this reason, I'm not too concerned about the U2 tickets. I could probably scrounge around and get the cash together for a ticket if I really wanted to go but I don't. My Croke Park Date this summer is with Gary, Mark, Howard and Jason. Bono, Larry, Adam and Edge can just kiss my Take That loving behind.


 

***

I'm just back from a delightful lunch with John, a friend who I haven't seen in months, probably not since 2008 actually. Had I still been disallowing such occasions, I suspect it would be the summer before I'd see him, so I was perfectly happy to hop on the number 10 bus to town for a chat and a catch up. It being Daffodil day I stopped to give volunteer lady a fiver and procure a daff. I didn't even think that this might be going against the rules, and frankly, if it is, stuff the rules. I've known too many people who've been riddled with Cancer to stare at the ground and walk on by as if daffodil lady didn't exist. John bought me a coffee after lunch and since he doesn't do charity I told him, much to his dismay, that I was donating that €2.50 too.

€11 for Lunch

€3.20 on the Bus

€5 for Dafodil day.


 

***

Just entered a charity raffle for €4. It too was for the Cancer, so who was I to refuse? There goes John's €2.50 and a smidge of my own cash to boot!

€4 on two tickets.


 

Total spent to day - €22.20

Total not spent – really not sure. Probably nothing as I don't know whether I'd have rushed to buy those U2 tickets had my situation been any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment