Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 2 – 2nd March

€1.70 for a cup of tea. Was it necessary? I was freezing cold, needed a caffeine fix and forgot to bring in my own teabags. A more organised Cathy may have fared better.

€15 handed over for yesterday's in absentia baby purchase.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to Weight Watchers – I'm wondering how I can possibly justify its necessity. After all, I own a weighing scales. I can theoretically track my own weight – though have been pretty unsuccessful at it for most of my adult life. I know the WW rules – can I follow them for 2 months without the "support" of the meeting? Just writing that down makes me feel like an alcoholic or drug addict. Oh woe is me :(

I briefly thought I was getting around my airline purchase dilemma as someone reasoned that as I won't be consuming said purchase within the allotted 2 months it may not count. The problem then emerged of the two return flights, booked months ago, that I'll be taking to the UK in March, one in four days time, which I have no intention of canceling. So whatever way I look at it I'm breaking the rules.

I'm reading Judith Levine's "Not buying it – my year without shopping". Seems to me that picking and choosing what constitutes a necessity has been a toughie for her too. "No processed or prepared foods except the most basic – bread". I could whip up loaf of bread in no time, it's the baked beans I'd have trouble with, then again I know my flatmate has a great Baked Beans recipe so no excuses there either I suppose. I'm beginning to think all I'll be doing for the next few months is cooking.

I've also just realised I'm going to have a massive problem with a class night out that I am organising. Drinks, dinner, karaoke - all of which will have to be paid for, none of which are essential or necessary. I may be able to get around the dinner aspect as we all have to eat, but the booze and the few Euro for the karaoke could be pushing it. I haven't yet decided how to categorise alcohol and entertainment/service related purchases, such as Karaoke. I'm thinking I'd want to decide soon.

It's also my brother's birthday tomorrow. A card has been bought – but back in February, and if I'm honest, by my mum and passed on to me. How he'll cope with a non-existent present I'm really not too sure. Will have to discuss with him. Maybe I could bring him to the cinema or something – but Judith Levine didn't go to the Cinema…

I also agreed this morning to go see a film with a friend tomorrow night – now, thanks to Ms. Levine, I'm second guessing myself.

I've just realised my €1.70 cup of tea has gone cold.

***

This Levine woman is confusing me. She won't go to the cinema, yet she goes to a poetry reading and donates $5. She also views the NY Times as a necessity – can she not read it online (she's already said that her internet access is a necessity)? Personally I could easily go without reading a physical newspaper for a year (or 2 months in my case). I guess this is where different people's versions of necessary come in to play.

***

€3.95 on veg soup and 2 slices of bread.

€1.50 on 2 bananas

FREE crisps and biccies after donating Blood!

€2.55 for a Mocha – two reasons to feel guilty here.

1) I gave up chocolate for lent (even though I'm the worst Catholic I know and for all intents and purposes am an agnostic) and

2) This experiment.

I am explaining away my Mocha as a necessary purchase, because since my blood donation and fainting spell earlier today, I'd felt generally woozy, tired and completely spaced out. Something sweet and perhaps caffeine related was required to regain my pep, so a mocha it was. As for the Lent business, my Mother reasoned that, as I saved a life today, God (if he does exist) is unlikely to strike me down for consuming chocolate.

Still awaiting return of pep and would quite like my blood back too.

***

My brother's birthday pizza has just arrived. We got it between us but birthday boy is paying as I'm "not shopping". How pathetic is that, having to buy your own birthday dinner? Dad's also just come home from work. He's singing as he was over in Wembly yesterday watching Man Utd win the Carling Cup. Makes a pleasant change from his rantings over Brian Cowen and the Banks. So we're all happy it seems and all it took was pizza, football and a whole lot of spending. I'm buying my flights to Spain now.

€131 each including CC fee. I hate Ryanair with ever sinew of my being but nobody else flies to Murcia it seems. It will be a challenge to keep my essentials down to 10kg but I'm not giving them the satisfaction of charging me €30 to check a bag in.

€140.70 spent today.

€22 not spent on my Brother's pizza feast. Sorry Joe

Tomorrow is another day – must do better. Though after Pizza and Birthday cake I feel I may need to put in an appearance at WW.

***



No comments:

Post a Comment