Friday, April 3, 2009

Day 33 – April 2nd

Clearly my body is not designed for AM drives through town. I set my alarm to wake me up nice and early today but in the deep recesses of my brain I knew right well I could sleep in and just whizz up the M50, arriving in DCU less than 30 minutes after I left Rathfarnham. So that is what I did. €2.80 on the toll and a speedy drive to Collins Avenue. I should know by now that I'm likely to fall at the first hurdle if the first hurdle is my alarm clock ringing at 6.30 am – after all, I am a vessel of sleepiness. When I arrived I then had to fork out €7 on a new parking ticket to see me through my next 6 visits to the multistory. I'm pretty sure my staff card gets me in free to a couple of the carparks but I have no idea where they are and I never leave myself enough time in the mornings to search them out. For lunch I spent €3.65 on water and a roll. I found this price very confusing as I'd previously been charged close to €3 in the very same restaurant for a cup of coffee. Either the pricing system in use in the Business School canteen makes no sense whatsoever or the staff just make prices up as they go along, depending on their mood.

I finally got out of there at about 7.30pm because I suspected the ALDI in Finglas closed at 8 and I still hadn't got my moisturiser. I knew exactly how to get there by going back out onto the M50 but I really didn't see the need. I was pretty certain I could make it to Finglas by following the signposts for the N2 so I elected to go on a bit of an "adventure", the scale of which, however, I was unprepared for. I made it to Finglas Village no bother. It was after that the trouble started. In essence I simply randomly drove around most of Finglas desperately looking for something resembling a German Discounter. When I finally arrived at the gates of the Phoenix Park about 45 minutes later I knew I had been beaten. Who knew Finglas was so vast and confusing? Not me obviously. Dejected and defeated, I drove to SuperValu in Churchtown where I invested in a Pizza and other foodstuffs €12.63. I finally got home about 9pm and proceeded to get drunk on cheese. What a day.

Total spent today €26.08

Not spent €2.80 – I was so lost I couldn't have found the M50 and its Barrier Free Tolling System for all the Aldis in Germany,

No comments:

Post a Comment