Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April 19th – Red Wine is not My friend

Good lord almighty. Red wine is not my friend. This is becoming ever more clear the older I get. I lay in bed, wide awake till 1pm on Sunday, unable to move for fear of what might happen. I eventually decided a walk in the park with Lizzie and the Dogs was my only hope for the day. I dragged my ass out of bed and into the shower and then plonked it onto my bike for the short cycle to Churchtown. This whole cycling business is so much more pleasurable and easy when the sun is shining, even if I was a hungover mess. I feel I am going to be a better friend to the environment and also to my bank account if we get a sunny summer for a change and I can swap the car for some easy breezy cycling.

Upon arrival at Mum and Dad's, the commotion with the dog paraphernalia began in earnest yet again. This time it was not a lead, but a collar that had gone missing. How, I ask you, can a perfectly good durable, hard wearing collar disappear off the neck of a dog, never to be seen again? Ridiculous. Eventually, as I was close to tears with the stress of the hullabaloo, the hangover and thoughts of having to reinvest in a collar on a Sunday, mum finally unearthed an old one and off to the park we went. I must have looked a sorry sight, being dragged around the Marlay by two little dogs (three if you include Lizzie's tiny pooch Bumper), but I tell you, if it weren't for them I'd never have made it round.

Got back to mum and dad's and had a flick through the papers. I didn't get far to be honest but did come across an interesting article in the Sunday Times concerning "The Urge to Splurge". I have now learned that splashing out is good for you as if we never treat ourselves we get a "wistful feeling of missing out on life's pleasures". So the unnecessary but desirable purchase is something we apparently shouldn't feel too guilty about. It seems that as long as we only indulge three times out of four and pay with cash so we're not weighing ourselves down with the burden of debt the indulgence is OK. Thank you Sunday Times Style Supplement for your wisdom. I will definitely remember this article the next time I want to buy a pretty pair of shoes.

After my few minutes of paper reading, I promptly fell asleep and remained that way for the majority of the FA cup semi-final. As it seemed to me that Berbatov did the exact same on the pitch I didn't feel too guilty about it. I woke up for the penalties, then got back on my bike and headed off home. I would have cycled directly to Olivia and Conor's if I'd had my lights with me but of course in my diminished state I hadn't thought that far ahead. By the time I got home my car was calling me so I hopped in without even going inside the apartment and needlessly wasted some petrol on the drive to Mount Argus.

At this stage you will note, I still hadn't spent any money. But the hankering for chips was getting greater and greater so as soon as Gary (also hungover) hinted that he too was in the mood for chippies we headed straight out to see what the take-away could provide our carb starved bodies. I got drinks in Centra (about €3) and Gary sprung for the chips (what a gent and what a good deal!). Once satiated we all then kicked back in front of a Kung Fu movie. Initially I was unsure how to take it, but as soon as the Thai Teenage Sensation started doing somersaults all over the place and kicking the crap out of the bad guys with her fancy moves I was hooked.

Total spent today - €3ish

No comments:

Post a Comment