Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 20th – Slave Labour, Prostitution or simply Charity?

I have partaken in some expenditure tonight that I may be unable to justify. In fact it seems I may have ventured into the Slave Trade or perhaps a form of Prostitution. I'm not entirely sure how to classify it to be honest. It all started when I hopped up on the bike again this evening and headed townwards for Del and Lionel's charity quiz night. All for a good cause I parted with my €20 entry fee and prepared to unleash a fountain of knowledge onto the answer sheets. Unfortunately this plan proved to be a little more than mildly ambitious, not just for me but also for my three teammates. It became very clear early on that we would not be winning any prizes based on our answers. Realising that we would have to change tactics to leave with some loot, we began to concentrate on inventing the Team Name to beat all Team Names. We settled on Saddle Sores, thinking it apt as the boys are raising money to do a charity cycle. I also invested €20 (€10 of which was mum's) in raffle tickets and sat back and waited to clean up. We wanted prizes and as it was all for charity I felt no guilt in my spending.

A couple of goody bags later, after being crowned winners of best team name, Table Four were still not satisfied. The raffle came and prizes went, but none to us. Along came the auction. This is the time when I usually sit back and marvel at the money some people will spend on random stuff – by and large sports related and often signed. Tonight was no exception. A signed Dublin football - €500; tickets to the Leinster-Munster Match in Croke Park - €310 times two. Thinking the auction was over we sat back and prepared for round 10 wondering whether there was any way we could possibly avoid coming last. Then suddenly it was announced that Lionel himself was being auctioned off. A date to the highest bidder. The auction thus began and laughter ensued. Lionel on stage with a look of panic and mortification on his face as his Mother, Father and Sister proceeded to outbid each other for the pleasure of an evening with their son/brother. Then in a split second it happened. One of the girls suggested we all chuck in €50 each and bid on the date and before I knew it I had shouted out "Two Hundred Euro" and a very relieved Lionel was ours! I however then realised that I didn't have a spare €50 in my wallet. Required funds were quickly borrowed from Anne. We paid up and now we each have ¼ of a date with our man slave and it being for charity I clearly can't be judged! I do wonder however if four men had bid on a woman would it all have been so comical.

Total spent today €80 (quiz, raffle tickets and ¼ of a date)

No comments:

Post a Comment