Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 21st – Breaking the Law

Today started off innocuously enough. Made it into college in one piece at a reasonable hour and got busy with the many things that I need to get done. I deemed lunch a relative success when I got soup, a roll, beans and a baked potato for €5.40. It was only after the meal when I couldn't breathe through my nose for about an hour that I began to wonder what was in my food that was bunging me up yet again. An allergy test will definitely be taken in May when I have some money. Some students were collecting for Cystic Fibrosis so I gave them €2, conscious of the fact that my charitable giving had already exceeded €80 this week and it was only Tuesday.

The problems started for real when I had to drive out to Blackrock to sit in on an exam. Lord knows what's going on out there but for the first time in my life I couldn't get a parking space anywhere on campus. I drove around for about 15 minutes and almost had a spot before some guy in a jeep beat me to the chase. Needless to say I cursed him repeatedly as I did one more lap of the carpark before giving up. Out onto Avoca Avenue I went and parked my car on the street. Upon my return four hours later I noticed a little slip of yellow paper on my windscreen informing me that I would be getting a parking ticket in the post. Fantastic. That's all I need. I was going to call the guards to find out what my parking misdemeanour was that warranted such a ticket, but as I was driving at the time I thought the better of it.

Deciding it was too nice a day to let the yellow slip of paper get the better of me I zoomed off home. I needed to buy groceries but didn't pass SuperValu on my route to Rathfarnham so was left with a little dilemma. 1) Take advantage of the lovely evening and walk to Tesco or 2) get back in the stuffy car and drive to SuperValu. I elected to go for option 1. Much as it pained me it was just too nice an evening to pass up a little walk. €13.64 on Groceries and back I went to cook up a lovely dinner for Brian and Eric and sit back for more heart in mouth football courtesy of Liverpool and Arsenal.

Total spent today - €21.04

No comments:

Post a Comment